When we found our house, one of the features that we thought sounded nice was the small pond and waterfall to one side of the patio. The pond was fun for a few years, but the liner is now fully shot, and I am too lazy to do all the work needed to replace it. Plans were made to convert it to a planting bed.

Today we finally got around to doing the work. Here’s what things looked like this morning:

This is the pond bed, into which I have been dumping extra dirt and some compostable yard debris to start the process of filling it up.

This is the pond bed, into which I have been dumping extra dirt and some compost-able yard debris to start the process of filling it up.

Our first step was to do a little shopping. I didn’t want to go without the sound of water completely, so a new, smaller pond form, pump, and fountain head along with a bunch of topsoil and peat were purchased. We mixed the topsoil and peat to make fill for the pond.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 help Hubby mix peat and soil in the wheelbarrow.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 help Hubby mix peat and soil in the wheelbarrow.

Before putting the fill in, we figured out where to put the pond form and roughly planned out the plantings.

Here's the pond form waiting to be soiled into place.

Here's the pond form waiting to be soiled into place.

The rest was just hours of hard gardening: mixing batches of fill and spreading it around; adding the plants (Iris, Hydrangea, Bee Balm, and Variegated St. John’s Wort); setting up the water feature; spreading mulch; and adding a few finishing touches. Here’s the result:

Ta-Da!

Ta-Da!

I hope you like! We sure do.

Advertisements